FAQ for Home Phone Service
Q-1. What is Babatel Home Phone?
Home Phone is a full-featured IP phone service for residential customers to make local and long-distance calls.
Q-2. What are the features of Home Phone?
The Home Phone service offers a wide range of features such as voicemail, Caller ID, call waiting, call forwarding and more.
Q-3. How can I enable and check my voice mail messages?
• Voice mail service can be enabled by login to your online account portal or by calling customer service.
• To check voice mail messages from your Home Phone dial *98#, then select option 1 to start listening to your voice mail messages.
Q-4. What is the difference between Call Failover and call forwarding?
• Never miss a call, gives the option to transfer a call from a Babatel Home Phone to an alternate phone (mobile) in the event that there is power or broadband internet outage, or in the event that broadband internet service is suspended or terminated. By transferring calls to your mobile you may be charged air time, roaming or long distance by your mobile service provider.
• Call forwarding feature can be utilized to transfer call from a Home Phone to an alternate phone (mobile) after 40 seconds of ring time and in the event that there is no response. By forwarding calls to your mobile you may be charged air time, roaming or long distance by your mobile service provider.
Q-5. What is the difference between traditional PSTN phone lines and Home Phone (Voip) Phone?
• Home Phone uses the technology of voice over IP and requires Broadband internet.
• Whereas, the main chore of the Media PSTN Gateway, the digital media streams are linked together to transfer the voice media as well as the data.
Q-6. Can I keep my original phone number?
Yes. It takes up to 15 working days to transfer your original number to Babatel. (This is called 'porting'.) When you sign up, you'll be assigned a telephone number by Babatel until we successfully port in your existing phone number. You can use this number to start making and receiving calls straight away. When the transfer is complete, your original number will permanently replace the Babatel phone number.
Q-7. What if I want a new phone number?
When you place your order, we will provide you a new phone number with Babatel Adaptor upon confirmation of your purchase. You can start using the service as soon as your Adaptor arrives.
Q-8. What do I need to start using Babatel Home Phone?
You need a regular landline phone, a broadband connection and a Babatel Adaptor. To place your order we require a credit card, email address and your full address.
Q-9. How can I receive the Free 3 Months promotional offer?
You can receive the Free 3 Months promotional offer when you prepay for six months Home Phone service in advance.
Q-10. How can I set up Babatel Home Phone?
Follow the 4 easy steps to set up Babatel Home Phone:
a. Connect Internet cable to internet port
b. Connect phone line to the phone port
c. Connect power adaptor to power outlet
d. Wait 5 minutes then start making calls
Q-11. How can I use Babatel Home Phone all over my house?
• Use a cordless phone system that comes with a base unit and extra handsets. The base station plugs directly into the phone Adaptor and multiple handsets can be placed anywhere in the house.
• Get a multiple jack extension connector and connect it to the phone Adaptor to allow multiple phones on a single Babatel line.
Q-12. Can I move or travel with my Babatel Home Phone?
Yes! As long as there's broadband, you can use your Babatel Home Phone service. Just take your Babatel Adaptor (and handset if necessary) with you, plug your phone and Adaptor into the modem / router at the other end. You will receive your calls as you are staying in Canada
Q-13. Can I cancel my service if I am not interested in Babatel Home Phone Service?
Yes, you can cancel within 7 days of activation. You must return the Babatel Adaptor with full package and with no visible sign of damage in order to receive your security deposit if applicable.
Q-14. Does Babatel Home Phone work same as regular Home phone service?
• Yes. Babatel Home Phone works same as a traditional phone service, with more features and much lower cost. With Babatel Home Phone, your phone calls are sent over the Internet, instead of phone lines.
• You can use your phone the same way as regular phone line, the sound quality is excellent and your phone rings normal, you can call anyone and anyone can call you.
Q-15. What will happen if power or internet is not working?
If power or internet is not working, your Home Phone will also not work. In this case you can set up to forward your Babatel Home Phone calls to a secondary telephone number (mobile or work phone number). When the call comes, it will be transferred to your mobile or work number. Once power and internet returns, the calls will be connected to your Babatel Home Phone.
Q-16. Do I need a computer to use Babatel phone?
No. All you need is a Babatel phone Adaptor, high-speed Internet connection and a touchtone phone.
Q-17. Do the people I call need a computer and internet to receive calls?
No. You can use Babatel phone to call to any landline or mobile.
Q-18. In the event of an emergency, can I call 911 from Babatel Home Phone?
Yes, your 911 call is directed to (E 911) services that is similar to traditional 911 services but has some important differences and limitations. Your 911 call is directed to (E 911) services to the nearest emergency response Centre. In addition, your phone caller ID and address are visible to the emergency response Centre operator. The call Centre operator will confirm your location information and then transfer your E-911 call to the emergency response Centre nearest you. You should be prepared to confirm your address and call-back number with the operator. You are advised to update your change of address or new location information with Babatel online or by calling customer service for any address change. You are required to provide your Canadian address only. When you move outside Canada, please inform us so we can disable your E911 service for none Canadian address.
Q-19. Will 911 calling service be available if power or internet is not working?
Due to E 911 service limitations, your E 911 service will not function in the event of a power or broadband internet outage, or in the event your broadband internet service is suspended or terminated. You should be prepared and have alternative phones for emergency 911 service calls. Please see www.babatel.ca website for more details.
Q-20. What should I do if my Adaptor is lost, stolen or damaged?
Notify Babatel immediately by calling to customer service. However, you will be responsible for all charges to your account until you settle your service account.
Q-21. Is Home Phone service compatible with home alarm security systems?
The Home Phone service may not be compatible with home security systems. You may be required to maintain a telephone connection through your local exchange carrier in order to use any alarm monitoring functions for any security system installed in your home or business. You should contact the alarm monitoring company to test the compatibility of any alarm monitoring or security system with your Home Phone service.